Tuesday 7 August 2012

Our not-so-bright trip to Brighton.

This morning I write from a crap Internet Cafe in Brighton, England, with computer keyboards which require Olympic strength to push individual keys, and an unusual smell which continues to waft from the ‘out of order’ bathroom directly next to me. Adding to the experience is the slight memory of last night, when Eliza, Aaron and I got ‘cakeholed’ at the hostel bar, and somehow ended up at a local cocktail lounge drinking only cocktails topped with whipped cream. MMM!

Unfortunately, after almost seven months of experiencing the very best of the human race, and meeting some of the most amazing, most hospitable and most generous people the world has to offer, two days ago, our luck ran out. The three of us went for a walk along the beach here in Brighton, leaving our luggage locked in a locker at the hostel, and unfortunately returned to find our bags somewhat emptier than we had left them. The padlock on the locker had been broken open, and the zip on my locked bag had been broken – and unfortunately it wasn’t my dirty washing that had been taken!

Sadly, I am now traveling minus my MacBook, camera charger and some foreign currency, and Eliza’s load has also been lightened thanks to the removal of her computer, bank cards and some other stuff in her bag. Luckily I had backed up all my photos a couple of weeks ago, so have only lost my photos of Germany and Denmark, and thanks to facebook, I still have some of these online. All my travel documents and vaccination certificates are now gone, as well as all my printed flight tickets, travel itinerary and insurance information – however we were lucky enough to be left a stolen mobile phone and camera in the bin next to Eliza’s bed... maybe the theif thought we would like to swap technology with some other unsuspecting victim?

Whodunnit???
While I am fairly angry to have lost my MacBook, it is the photos I am most disappointed about – and the fact my camera wasn’t stolen, but the theif decided to take my Australian camera charger (this is just plain annoying, and little use to anyone not in Australia!). The hostel security is fairly good, with the building, and then each room requiring a separate keycard to enter, and the manager went above and beyond to help us out and report the theft. One of the guests in our eight person dorm mysteriously left with all his luggage in the two hours we were down at the beach (even though he had a reservation to stay the night), and the hostel have passed his passport copy and credit card details on to the police – CSI Aaron has decided the guy is guilty, but even if he is, who knows if the passport and credit card were not stolen anyway? The police in Brighton have been extremely helpful, and thanks to the wonderful world of Apple and ‘Find My Mac’, I have been able to send through a map of an attempted sign on to the computer back in London the evening it was stolen.

Unfortunately this means I am computer-less for a while, and am going to have to find something else to do on the trains, buses and planes I usually write my blog entries on. It also means I will no doubt get behind with my entries, but I will do my best to write when I get the chance – and while it is extremely unlikely, I will continue to hold on to some hope I may one day get my photos back!


3 comments:

  1. Wow... How ultra annoying crappy is that?!?! And out of all the places you have visited too!! Sorry to hear it :(
    I wonder if this person will try to pretend to be you and use some of your printed tickets....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anita, very annoying indeed! I'll send you a private message with all the juicy details! :)

      Delete
  2. Dear James ...

    Sorry to read about your lost, I got some foto from Danmark I will send to you...

    Have a nice day, dear friend...

    Love H xxx

    ReplyDelete

The most popular small goods of all time...

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips